Friday, February 17, 2012

John's Nexus Saga (post 1)

I was checking eBay and the galaxynexusforum.com a few weeks ago looking for cool accessories and I found a  nice little LED dock for under $10 for my bedside. When it arrived, it didn't fit, and although it charged the phone, it was painfully slow compared to straight cable charging. I might tear it apart this weekend and see if I can get it to actually work, but in the mean time, I decided to go the do-it-yourself route and make my own.

The material is laminated amber bamboo, and it assembles in seconds. My home made version looks more stylish than it's plastic counterpart, it uses my existing cable, and when I get a new phone in 2 years, it's 100% recyclable, all for about the same price I paid for the cheap eBay knockoff, which, needless to say, is about 25% what any peripheral through Verizon would have cost.

If you have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, just click the image above to go to the Ponoko making page. Otherwise, I'm open to doing custom one-off's for other phones if anyone is interested. Post in the comments if you want one of your own. With shipping it's about $20 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment